Starting from Thursday, the Ministry of Health will only be providing one COVID-19 update per day.
Chief Medical Officer Dr. Roshan Parasram says the update will now be presented in a more comprehensive format.
This update, he said, will be done at 4pm each day and will include the same information that was previously provided in the Ministry’s updates, such as the total number of new cases and deaths, as well as the grand totals.
The number of patients in Step Down and Quarantine facilities will also be provided, along with the total number of persons in home isolation.
Dr. Parasram said the new user-friendly format will also be available on the Ministry’s website where further breakdowns or additional information may be provided.
The Health Ministry has taken the decision to decommission the Camp Balandra Quarantine Facility and the Brooklyn Step Down Facility in Sangre Grande.
Camp Balandra was initially used for the returning Nationals who came from a cruise ship earlier this year.
Principal Medical Officer, Dr. Maryam-Abdool-Richards, said the Ministry has given up 74 beds in total with the decommissioning of these two facilities but said this was done as a cost-saving measure.
Dr. Abdool-Richards said alternatively, over 150 beds have been added to the parallel healthcare system.
The Principal Medical Officer of Health added that the Ministry will provide figures for the cost savings from decommissioning these two facilities at a subsequent media conference.