posted by Kalyn Denny on July 26, 2021
This recipe for Grilled Cod with Garlic, Basil, and Lemon makes use of a straightforward and scrumptious fish marinade that’s good on any kind of agency white fish.
Lately I shared the recipe for Kalyn’s Lake Powell Fish Marinade, and you’ll’t go improper with that recipe for grilled fish. However this scrumptious recipe for Grilled Cod with Garlic, Basil, and Lemon makes use of one other tasty fish marinade I typically served after I was catering houseboat journeys. Again within the Lake Powell days I made this grilled fish recipe most frequently with halibut, however now a small package deal of frozen halibut is $40 at Costco, which looks as if loads for many meals budgets.
And proper subsequent to the halibut I discovered Wild Alaskan Pacific Cod, which was a lot cheaper and completely lip-smacking good on this recipe! The grilled cod within the images is served with simple Cucumber Caesar for an ideal summer time dinner. I do notice that grilled fish may be difficult to cook dinner, and Cod is a little more delicate than halibut, so I encourage you to concentrate to my tricks to stop the fish from sticking while you do that recipe.
The thought of garlic and basil with fish could seem uncommon, however please belief me on this. Usually I like recent basil, however for a marinade I want dried herbs, and I’ve made this fish marinade many, many occasions with dried basil with nice outcomes. And be certain to not marinate the fish too lengthy, or the lemon juice will begin to “cook dinner” the fish. Beneath additionally, you will discover solutions for extra kinds of fish you should utilize for this garlic-basil marinade.
What substances do you want for this recipe?
What other forms of fish are good for this recipe:
You may also make this recipe with any agency white fish, particularly Halibut, Mahi Mahi, Swordfish, or Tuna.
How are you going to stop grilled fish from sticking?
- Be certain your grill grates are fully clear.
- Earlier than you warmth the grill, spray grill grates nicely with a non-stick spray like Pam for Grilling (affiliate hyperlink) or rub with a excessive smoke-point oil.
- After you drain the marinated fish, let fish come to room temperature and brush the aspect that’s occurring the grill first with olive oil (or any oil you like.)
- Preheat the grill to excessive, then instantly flip to medium-high while you put fish on the grill.
- Brush the second aspect with oil after you set fish on the grill.
- Be mild and cautious while you’re rotating and turning the fish; use a Fish Spatula (affiliate hyperlink) you probably have one.
Are you able to cook dinner this with out an out of doors grill?
When you don’t have an out of doors grill (or it’s not grilling climate), grilled fish like this will simply be cooked on a stove-top grill pan with ridges (affiliate hyperlink) or a George Foreman Grill (affiliate hyperlink) with good outcomes. Keep in mind that the George Foreman Grill cooks each side without delay so grilling time might be loads shorter!
Find out how to Make Grilled Cod with Garlic, Basil, and Lemon:
(Scroll down for full recipe with dietary data.)
- Thaw frozen cod in a single day within the fridge and drain in a colander.
- Mix substances to make the marinade.
- Put the fish in a Ziploc bag with the marinade and marinate within the fridge for about 2 hours (not longer).
- If you’re able to cook dinner, take fish out of the fridge, drain off the marinade, and let it come to room temperature whilst you preheat the grill, which you’ve generously oiled or sprayed with non-stick spray made for the grill. I begin heating on excessive after which flip the grill right down to medium-high after I put the fish on.
- Brush the highest aspect of the fish nicely with olive oil or a excessive smoke-point oil.
- Put fish on the grill with oiled aspect down, and cook dinner with out transferring about 3 minutes. Then g-e-n-t-l-y carry the sting to see you probably have grill marks.
- Use a Fish Spatula (affiliate hyperlink) to slip beneath the fish if it’s sticking a bit.
- When you’ve grill marks, rotate fish so it’s going the alternative angle on the primary aspect and cook dinner about 2-3 minutes longer.
- Brush the highest aspect of the fish with oil earlier than you flip it over, and switch gently.
- Cook dinner about 3 minutes extra on the second aspect. Cod solely must be cooked to 130F/54C to be completed, so you probably have one I’d use an On the spot Learn Meat Thermometer (affiliate hyperlink) to examine the temperature. Cod is hard when it’s overcooked, so watch it rigorously and examine typically.
- Serve sizzling for an ideal summer time meal!
Make it a Low-Carb Meal:
The grilled cod within the images is served with simple Cucumber Caesar. For a scrumptious low-carb meal, this cod would even be scrumptious with one thing like Air Fryer Asian Inexperienced Beans or an ideal summer time tomato salad.
Extra Good Concepts for Fish for the Grill:
- 4 items cod or different agency white fish
- 6 T olive oil plus a bit extra for brushing fish
- 2 T fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. coarse floor black pepper ( or much less, to style)
- 1 tsp. Spike Seasoning (see notes)
- 1 T garlic puree or minced garlic (see notes)
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- Thaw the fish fully in fridge if frozen. Drain the fish nicely in a colander positioned within the sink.
- Mix the olive oil, lemon juice, black pepper, Spike Seasoning (affiliate hyperlink) or different all-purpose seasoning mix, garlic puree, and dried basil.
- Put fish in Zip-loc bag or plastic container with a snap-tight lid, arranging it in a single layer.
- Pour marinade over and marinate in fridge for about 2 hours. Flip it over a number of occasions if you happen to’re dwelling. Don’t marinate it for much longer than this or the marinade will begin to “cook dinner” the fish.
- If you’re able to cook dinner, take the fish out of the fridge, drain off the marinade, and let fish come to room temperature.
- Oil the grill grates generously with oil poured on to a paper towel, or use a non-stick spray made for the grill. Then flip grill on to excessive and preheat.
- Brush the highest aspect of the fish nicely with olive oil or a excessive smoke-point oil.
- Flip the grill to medium-high if you end up able to put the fish on (or for a charcoal grill, you’ll be able to solely maintain your hand there for a number of seconds when it’s sizzling sufficient to cook dinner fish.)
- To get grill marks, lay the fish diagonally throughout grill grates; after 3 minutes gently carry the sting to see if the grill marks are darkish sufficient. You might want to make use of a Fish Spatula (affiliate hyperlink) to slip beneath the fish if it does not carry simply.
- After first grill marks seem rotate fish so it’s laying diagonally the opposite manner. Await the second set of grill marks, after which brush the highest aspect with oil earlier than you flip it over.
- Very gently and punctiliously flip fish over to cook dinner about 3 minutes the opposite aspect. Cod solely must be cooked to 130F/54C to be completed, so you probably have one I would use an On the spot Learn Meat Thermometer (affiliate hyperlink) to examine the temperature.
- Cod is hard when it is overcooked, so watch it rigorously and examine typically. Do not overcook! Serve sizzling.
If you do not have Spike Seasoning (affiliate hyperlink) use any all-purpose seasoning mix. I exploit garlic puree or minced that is available in a jar; you’ll be able to substitute barely much less garlic powder however I feel the garlic puree from a jar provides higher taste.
Keep in mind that while you’re utilizing substances in a marinade, you are not consuming all of that within the completed dish. I am assuming solely about one-fourth of the oil might be eaten, so I adjusted that within the dietary data.
I made this recipe for years at Lake Powell however I don’t bear in mind if I created it or noticed the recipe someplace; if anybody acknowledges it please let me know so I can provide correct credit score.
Quantity Per Serving: Energy: 256Complete Fats: 8gSaturated Fats: 1.3gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 6.5gLdl cholesterol: 99mgSodium: 521mgCarbohydrates: 1.8gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 41g
Vitamin data is mechanically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I’m utilizing. I’m not a nutritionist and can’t assure 100% accuracy, since many variables have an effect on these calculations.
Low-Carb Weight-reduction plan / Low-Glycemic Weight-reduction plan / South Seaside Weight-reduction plan Options:
This Grilled Cod with Garlic, Basil, and Lemon is a good recipe for any section of the unique South Seaside Weight-reduction plan, or another kind of low-carb consuming plan.
Discover Extra Recipes Like This One:
Use Grilling Recipes for extra concepts like this one. Use the Recipes by Weight-reduction plan Kind photograph index pages to seek out extra recipes appropriate for a selected consuming plan. You may also prefer to Observe Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the great recipes I’m sharing there.
Historic Notes for this Recipe:
This recipe was first posted in 2011, utilizing Halibut for the fish. After I found lovely cod fillets at Costco the recipe was up to date with new images and extra details about cooking fish on the grill in 2021.