posted by Kalyn Denny on July 5, 2021
Kalyn’s Lake Powell Fish Marinade was once fairly well-known with my Lake Powell associates, and it’s an ideal fish marinade recipe! And this can be a wonderful means so as to add superb taste to Grilled Mahi Mahi or any grilled fish!
There was at time when this flavorful and versatile recipe for Kalyn’s Lake Powell Fish Marinade was in all probability my most well-known recipe, a minimum of the recipe was one thing that acquired requested usually by purchasers and associates I used to cook dinner for on houseboat journeys at Utah’s lovely Lake Powell. That was again within the days when nobody had ever heard of sustainable seafood, and on the lake I’d usually use the marinade on Thresher Shark. Quick ahead fairly a number of years, and now I like this marinade on grilled Mahi Mahi, which is the fish proven in these photographs.
I hope my recipe for fish marinade will likely be one thing that will get you to re-think your concepts about grilling fish if you happen to’ve been skeptical prior to now, as a result of everybody liked this recipe all these occasions I used it at Lake Powell, even individuals who claimed they “didn’t like fish!” And if you wish to re-create the dinner in these photographs, I served the grilled fish with Spicy Cucumber Salad for an ideal summer time meal.
What elements do you want for this recipe?
What seafood seasoning did I take advantage of?
For a few years I made this recipe with Johnny’s Seafood Seasoning (affiliate hyperlink). That’s a fantastic product and can give good outcomes when you’ve got it. However now that I’m an enthusiastic fan of Szeged Fish Rub (affiliate hyperlink) and so a lot of my readers use this fish rub as properly, I used that within the fish marinade, and it was completely scrumptious!
Why use a fish marinade?
You could by no means have tried utilizing a fish marinade if you’re making grilled fish, nevertheless it’s such a fantastic thought if you happen to’re cooking for people who find themselves suspicious concerning the taste of fish. Fish marinade recipes are used so as to add taste to the fish. And it’s true that utilizing a fish marinade will make grilled fish a bit much less “fishy” so if that’s one thing that appeals to your loved ones, this will turn into your favourite solution to cook dinner fish on the grill.
What sort of fish is sweet with this fish marinade?
This marinade is actually good on any type of fish you would possibly wish to cook dinner on the grill! I like the marinade on the Grilled Mahi Mahi you see in these photographs, however I’ve used this tasty marinade on shark, halibut, salmon, swordfish, and tuna. You do must plan forward for about 2 hours or marinating time, and don’t marinate the fish too lengthy. And watch out to not overcook fish if you’re cooking it on the grill!
How will you maintain fish from sticking to the grill?
There are some methods to maintain fish from sticking to the grill, whether or not or not you’re utilizing a fish marinade! Ensure your grill grates are utterly clear. Earlier than you warmth the grill, spray grill grates properly with a non-stick spray like Pam for Grilling (affiliate hyperlink) or rub with a paper towel dipped in a excessive smoke-point oil. After you drain the marinated fish, let fish come to room temperature and brush the aspect that’s occurring the grill first with olive oil (or any oil you favor.) Preheat the grill to excessive, then instantly flip to medium-high if you put fish on the grill.
Brush the second aspect with oil if you put fish on the grill. Let fish cook dinner 2-3 minutes with out touching it, then carry the sting of a chunk to see when you’ve got good grill marks and if the fish lifts simply. That’s when you realize it’s able to rotate. Rotate to the alternative to cook dinner 2-3 minutes going the opposite angle on the grill grates to make grill marks. Then rigorously flip, utilizing a Fish Spatula (affiliate hyperlink) when you’ve got one. Prepare dinner 3-4 minutes on second aspect, or till fish is agency.
What if you happen to don’t have an outside grill?
When you don’t have an outside grill (or it’s not grilling climate), grilled fish like this may be cooked on a stove-top grill pan with ridges (affiliate hyperlink) or a George Foreman Grill(affiliate hyperlink) with good outcomes. Keep in mind that the George Foreman Grill cooks either side directly so grilling time will likely be quite a bit shorter!
Ideas for making the fish marinade and grilled fish:
(Scroll down for full recipe with dietary data.)
- I used the fish marinade on wild-caught Mahi Mahi from Costco. Let the fish thaw within the fridge in a single day (or thaw in chilly water.)
- Combine collectively soy sauce, lemon juice, peanut oil, water, Liquid Smoke, Szeged Fish Rub, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder to make the marinade.
- Marinate fish within the fridge for about 2 hours.
- Once you’re able to cook dinner, drain fish and discard marinade.
- Brush with oil on the aspect you’re placing down on the grill.
- Let fish come to room temperature when you spray grill with with a non-stick spray like Pam for Grilling (affiliate hyperlink) or rub with paper towel dipped in oil.
- If you’d like these good diagonal grill marks, lay fish at an angle to grill grates.
- Brush second aspect of fish with oil as quickly as you set it on the grill. Grill 2-3 minutes, then carry the sting to see when you’ve got good grill marks and if the fish lifts simply.
- Then rotate fish so it’s going on the reverse angle on the grill. Prepare dinner a couple of minutes longer till you’ve criss-cross marks.
- Flip the fish over and cook dinner it about 3-4 minutes extra or till it feels agency, however not laborious if you press on it along with your finger. Don’t overcook!
- Serve sizzling and luxuriate in!
Make it a Low-Carb Meal:
The salad was nice with the Spicy Cucumber Salad you see in these photographs for a low-carb meal. This grilled fish could be superb with Grilled Asparagus with Parmesan, Grilled Zucchini, or World’s Best Grilled Greens.
Extra Concepts for Cooking Fish:
- 4 items of Mahi Mahi, thawed if frozen (see notes)
- 2 T soy sauce (see notes)
- 2 T fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 T + 1 T peanut oil (see notes)
- 1 T water
- 1/4 tsp. Liquid Smoke (measure rigorously and don’t use extra, see notes)
- 1/2 tsp. Szeged Fish Rub (see notes)
- 1/2 tsp. coarse floor black pepper
- 1/2 T onion powder
- 1/2 T garlic powder
- If utilizing frozen fish, thaw in a single day within the fridge or in chilly water. Drain thawed fish in a colander positioned within the sink.
- Place thawed fish filets in a single layer in massive Ziploc bag or plastic container with a snap-tight lid.
- Stir collectively the soy sauce or Gluten-Free Soy Sauce (affiliate hyperlink), lemon juice, peanut oil, water, Liquid Smoke, fish rub, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder to make the marinade.
- Pour the marinade over the fish and marinate within the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours. (I wouldn’t marinate this longer than 3-4 hours on the most.)
- Once you’re able to cook dinner the fish, take away it from the fridge, drain in a colander and discard marinade, and let fish come to room temperature.
- Brush the aspect of the fish that can go on the grill first with oil.
- Oil the grill grates completely with non-stick grill spray or a paper towel dipped in oil and preheat the grill to excessive, or medium-high for charcoal grill. (You may solely maintain your hand there for 1-2 seconds at that warmth.)
- To get good grill marks, lay the fish top-side down at an angle to the grill grates.
- As quickly as you set the fish on, flip the grill right down to medium-high. Brush the opposite aspect of the fish with oil.
- Prepare dinner fish about 2-3 minutes, or till the primary grill marks seem and fish lifts up simply. (I often carry up a chunk and verify.)
- Then rotate fish going on the reverse angle to make the criss-cross marks and cook dinner about 2-3 extra minutes.
- When you’ve good grill marks, flip the fish rigorously and cook dinner 4-5 minutes on the opposite aspect.
- Complete cooking time for fish is about 10 minutes per inch of thickness and fish ought to really feel agency however not laborious to the contact when it’s achieved.
- Take away from the grill and serve sizzling.
This fish marinade is sweet on nearly each type of fish you can cook dinner on the grill! Make sure you use Gluten-Free Soy Sauce (affiliate hyperlink) if wanted. The Liquid Smoke (affiliate hyperlink) used on this recipe is VERY potent, so don’t be tempted to extend the quantity. When you use an excessive amount of it’ll smash no matter you’re placing it in, however in small quantities, it provides a pleasant smoky taste for barbecue sauce or grilled meats.
For years I made this with Johnny’s Seafood Seasoning (affiliate hyperlink) however now I might use Szeged Fish Rub within the marinade. When you do not wish to use peanut oil, use any excessive smoke level oil.
Dietary data is for Mahi Mahi that is marinated within the marinade after which grilled. It’s primarily based on the quantity of marinade that sticks to the fish, since many of the marinade is discarded.
Recipe created by Kalyn many, a few years in the past!
Quantity Per Serving: Energy: 232Complete Fats: 7.2gSaturated Fats: 1gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 5.5gLdl cholesterol: 149mgSodium: 404mgCarbohydrates: 1.6gFiber: 0gSugar: .1gProtein: 38g
Diet data is mechanically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I’m utilizing. I’m not a nutritionist and can’t assure 100% accuracy, since many variables have an effect on these calculations.
Low-Carb Food regimen / Low-Glycemic Food regimen / South Seaside Food regimen Options:
Kalyn’s Lake Powell Fish Marinade shouldn’t be solely scrumptious for grilled fish, it’s an ideal recipe for low-carb or Keto diets or the unique South Seaside Food regimen .
Discover Extra Recipes Like This One:
Use Grilling Recipes to search out extra recipes like this one. Use the Recipes by Food regimen Sort picture index pages to search out extra recipes appropriate for a particular consuming plan. You may also wish to Comply with Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the nice recipes I’m sharing there.
Historic Notes for this Recipe:
This recipe was first posted in 2011. It was up to date in 2021 with greatly-improved photographs and higher directions.