posted by Kalyn Denny on Could 31, 2021
I really like this low-carb Asparagus and Tomato Salad with Hearts of Palm and if you happen to haven’t tried hearts of palm, they’re actually a wow in salads!
I really like to tug issues out of the fridge or pantry and experiment to see what I can give you, and this Asparagus and Tomato Salad with Hearts of Palm began with the Hearts of Palm which are one in all my favourite salad components. And I additionally had contemporary asparagus within the fridge and chives rising within the backyard, though you may actually use inexperienced onions if that’s what you might have. I added a couple of of the small grape tomatoes I begin shopping for within the spring once I’m craving the flavour of tomatoes.
Combined with a lemony French dressing, this salad goes to be an incredible aspect dish for juicy grilled rooster breasts, or something cooked on the grill! And once I can have a straightforward meal that features hearts of palm, asparagus, and grilled salmon, I’m a contented camper.
What are Hearts of Palm?
Hearts of Palm (affiliate hyperlink) are a slightly-crunchy vegetable that’s harvested from the middle of domesticated palm bushes. They was considerably controversial, however newer harvesting strategies don’t injury the bushes and wild palms are protected in lots of locations. And Hearts of Palm are so scrumptious! Right here’s extra about Hearts of Palm and learn how to use them.
What components do you want for this recipe?
- contemporary asparagus spears
- sliced Hearts of Palm (affiliate hyperlink)
- cherry tomatoes
- sliced chives or inexperienced onion (elective)
- salt and contemporary floor black pepper to style
- fresh-squeezed lemon juice (I used my fresh-frozen lemon juice)
- purple wine vinegar
- Dijon mustard
- extra-virgin olive oil
The best way to make this salad:
(Scroll down for full printable recipe, together with dietary info.)
- Take away Hearts of Palm (affiliate hyperlink) from the jar and allow them to drain.
- Carry a pot of salted water to a boil when you slice asparagus into diagonal 1 1/2 inch items till you might have about 2 cups.
- Cook dinner the asparagus within the boiling water for 2-3 minutes, then drain instantly.
- Whisk collectively lemon juice, purple wine vinegar, and Dijon after which whisk within the olive oil a little bit at a time to make the dressing.
- Then combine a couple of tablespoons of the dressing with the nice and cozy asparagus and let it sit when you prep the opposite components.
- Slice the hearts of palm into 1/2 inch slices. Break the slices aside into rings or minimize them in half in the event that they don’t separate.
- Slice cherry tomatoes in half till you might have a cup of sliced tomatoes.
- Gently combine the tomatoes and hearts of palm with the marinating asparagus, and add sufficient dressing to moisten the salad. (You may not want all of the dressing.)
- Wash the chives if wanted (or use inexperienced onions) after which slice into quick items.
- Then gently combine in chopped chives, season with salt and contemporary floor black pepper, and serve.
Make it a Low-Carb Meal:
This Asparagus Salad would style nice with low-carb grilled rooster, Pan-Grilled Steak with Olive Sauce, or Grilled Sausage and Peppers! You may serve with Spicy Vegan Peanut Butter Tofu for a low-carb vegan meal!
Extra Salad Recipes with Asparagus:
Asparagus Salad with Cherry Tomatoes, Kalamata Olives, and Feta from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Shaved Asparagus Salad with Balsamic Syrup and Almonds from Cookin’ Canuck
Spring Inexperienced Salad with Asparagus, Snow Peas, Radishes, and Honey-Dijon French dressing from Andrea Meyers
- 1/2 lb. contemporary asparagus spears, ends snapped off and minimize into diagonal slices
- 1 1/2 cups sliced coronary heart of palm
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, minimize in half
- 1/4 cup sliced chives or inexperienced onion
- salt and contemporary floor black pepper to style
- 1 1/2 T fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp. purple wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 1/2 T extra-virgin olive oil
- Take away about 8 oz. hearts of palm from the jar and put them in a colander to empty.
- Carry a medium pot of salted water to boil, including a beneficiant quantity of salt to the water (barely lower than a teaspoon.)
- Snap one piece of asparagus to see the place to trim off the woody ends, then trim different items to that very same size.
- Reduce asparagus on the diagonal into slices about 1 1/2 inches lengthy. (It’s best to have about 2 cups, or a little bit extra.)
- When the water involves a boil, add the asparagus and cook dinner 2-3 minutes (now not; use a timer!)
- Drain asparagus right into a colander.
- Combine collectively the lemon juice, purple wine vinegar, and Dijon, after which whisk within the olive oil a little bit at a time to make the dressing.
- When the asparagus has drained put it in a bowl giant sufficient to carry all of the salad and add about 2 tablespoons of the dressing.
- Stir to coat the asparagus and let it marinate when you prep different components.
- Slice the hearts of palm into 1/2 inch thick slices; then break the slices into rings or minimize them in half in the event that they don’t separate simply.
- Reduce cherry tomatoes in half and slice the chives (or inexperienced onions.)
- Gently combine the hearts of palm and tomatoes in with the marinating asparagus and add sufficient dressing to moisten all of the components. (You could not want all of the dressing.)
- Gently combine within the chives, season salad to style with salt and contemporary floor black pepper, and serve. (Do not forget that the asparagus was cooked in salted water, so this salad won’t want an excessive amount of salt.)
- I like to recommend solely making as a lot of this as you may eat at one meal, as a result of it didn’t preserve that nicely within the fridge.
Recipe created by Kalyn when she was delighted to search out Hearts of Palm at Costco once more.
Quantity Per Serving: Energy: 115Whole Fats: 9gSaturated Fats: 1gUnsaturated Fats: 7gLdl cholesterol: 0mgSodium: 423mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 3g
Vitamin info is mechanically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I’m utilizing. I’m not a nutritionist and can’t assure 100% accuracy, since many variables have an effect on these calculations.
Low-Carb Food regimen / Low-Glycemic Food regimen / South Seashore Food regimen Options:
Hearts of palm, asparagus, and tomatoes are all splendidly low-glycemic components, and this Vegan Asparagus Salad is a superb alternative for any section of the South Seashore Food regimen and different low-carb consuming plans. The best carbs listed here are within the cherry tomatoes, so if you happen to’re making an attempt to restrict carbs go straightforward on these.
Discover Extra Recipes Like This One:
Use Salad Recipes to search out extra recipes like this one. Use the Recipes by Food regimen Sort index to search out extra recipes appropriate for a selected consuming plan. You may also Observe Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the nice recipes I’m sharing there.
Historic Notes for this Recipe:
This recipe was first posted in 2012. Since then I’ve made it each summer season, and the recipe was up to date with higher images in 2021.