posted by Kalyn Denny on June 11, 2021
This Tomato Cucumber Salad with Mint and Feta has a particular preparation technique that brings out the perfect of those summer season substances.
Salads that characteristic tomatoes and cucumbers are a basic mixture present in cuisines everywhere in the world, and I’ve numerous them within the Salads Index on this website. However for Friday Favorites right now I’m reminding you about this particular Tomato Cucumber Salad with Mint and Feta that I make each summer season. This isn’t simply an unusual salad with tomatoes and cucumbers! It’s the way in which the tomatoes and the Feta are marinated individually with lemon, mint, and thyme earlier than the salad substances are mixed that makes this salad so good and belief me, that further hour of marinating time will make a lot distinction! And this salad is ideal to make with cherry tomatoes in early summer season once you don’t have recent backyard tomatoes but, however are beginning to crave tomatoes.
I bear in mind the primary time I made the salad I used to be skeptical in regards to the further marinating step. However the marinating time calms down the mint and infuses the opposite substances with lemony and herby flavors that make the completed salad actually nice. In fact, you probably have recent backyard tomatoes and cucumbers, this salad is a should strive! However even when it’s early within the yr and also you’re utilizing cherry tomatoes and cucumbers from the grocery retailer, and have to purchase the mint as effectively, this salad is unquestionably one so as to add to your summer season menu.
What substances do you want for this recipe?
- cherry tomatoes (or recent backyard tomatoes)
- chopped mint
- recent thyme leaves
- sea salt
- recent floor black pepper (use roughly to style)
- crumbled Feta
- inexperienced onions
- Kalamata olives
- extra-virgin olive oil
What in case you don’t like Kalamata olives?
Personally I’d by no means skip the Kalamata olives on this salad. However that’s the one ingredient I might say is non-obligatory, and I do know some individuals don’t take pleasure in bitter flavors like that. You may additionally exchange the Kalamata olives with milder black olives in case you want.
Are you able to make the salad with dried herbs?
I’d splurge on recent mint on the retailer for this salad in case you don’t have recent mint. However in case you don’t have recent thyme, I believe the salad would nonetheless be good with a smaller quantity of dried thyme, ideally Floor Thyme (affiliate hyperlink).
Tips on how to Make this salad:
(Scroll down for full recipe with dietary info.)
- Zest the lemon, chop mint, and chop the recent thyme.
- Then mix chopped tomatoes, half the mint, half the thyme, salt, and pepper in a single bowl.
- Mix crumbled Feta, lemon zest, remaining mint, remaining thyme, and a few black pepper in one other bowl.
- Let the tomato combination and the Feta combination hang around on the counter for about an hour, till the substances get very pleasant with one another.
- Then reduce up the cucumbers into bite-sized items, slice inexperienced onions, and chop the olives.
- Mix the tomato combination, Feta combination, cucumbers, inexperienced onions, and olives in a big bowl.
- Whisk collectively olive oil and recent lemon juice and blend desired quantity with the salad substances.
- Season the salad to style with salt and fresh-ground black pepper and serve.
- Be ready to be wowed by this superb salad!
Make it a Meal:
Extra Salads with Tomatoes:
BLT Salad from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Marinated Tomato Salad from David Lebovitz
Asparagus Salad with Cherry Tomatoes, Kalamata Olives, and Feta ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Tomato, Onion, and Roasted Lemon Salad ~ The View from Nice Island
American Greek Salad with Lettuce ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Creamy Herb Dressing ~ A Farmgirl’s Dabbles
Need Extra Summer time Tomato Salads?
Take a look at Ten Favourite Summer time Tomato Salads (plus Honorable Mentions) for extra superb salad concepts for summer season tomatoes!
- 1 1/2 cups quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped mint (or extra)
- 2 tsp. recent thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt, plus extra for serving if desired
- recent floor black pepper (use roughly to style)
- 1/2 cup crumbled Feta (or extra)
- 1 tsp. lemon zest, or extra (see notes)
- 1/4 cup sliced inexperienced onions (scallions)
- 1/2 cup pitted and chopped Kalamata olives
- 2 cup chopped cucumber
- 1 T recent lemon juice
- 2 T extra-virgin olive oil
- Lower up tomatoes and place in medium-sized bowl. Add half the mint, half the thyme, the salt, and a little bit of fresh-ground black pepper. Mix substances and let sit at room temperature for about one hour.
- In a separate bowl, mix crumbled feta, lemon zest, remaining mint, remaining thyme, and a bit extra fresh-ground pepper. Let sit at room temperature about one hour.
- After the tomatoes and Feta have marinated individually for about 45 minutes, reduce up cucumbers into bite-sized items. (I used recent backyard cucumbers which didn’t must be peeled. Retailer cucumbers might have some or all the peel eliminated.)
- Slice inexperienced onions and chop olives, then mix the tomato combination, Feta combination, cucumbers, inexperienced onions, and olives in giant bowl. Let sit at room temperature for a couple of minutes.
- Whenever you’re able to serve the salad, whisk collectively the olive oil and recent lemon juice and blend gently with salad substances. (You could not want all of the dressing relying on how moist you favor your salad.)
- Season with sea salt and extra recent floor black pepper if desired and serve.
Quantity Per Serving: Energy: 173Complete Fats: 12gSaturated Fats: 3gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 9gLdl cholesterol: 11mgSodium: 455mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 2gSugar: 8gProtein: 3g
Diet info is mechanically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I’m utilizing. I’m not a nutritionist and can’t assure 100% accuracy, since many variables have an effect on these calculations.
Low-Carb Food plan / Low-Glycemic Food plan / South Seaside Food plan Solutions:
This Chopped Tomato and Cucumber Salad with Mint, Feta, Lemon, and Thyme is an effective facet salad for any low-glycemic or low-carb food regimen, together with any part of the South Seaside Food plan. Tomatoes do have some carbs, so in case you’re strictly limiting carbs you would possibly wish to use extra cucumbers and fewer tomatoes.
Discover Extra Recipes Like This One:
Use the Salad Recipes to seek out extra recipes like this one.Use the Recipes by Food plan Sort photograph index pages to seek out extra recipes appropriate for a particular consuming plan. You may also wish to Observe Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the nice recipes I’m sharing there.
Historic Notes for this Recipe:
This recipe was first posted in 2007! I’ve made it many occasions since then, and the recipe was final up to date in 2021.