posted by Kalyn Denny on June 4, 2021
I first made this Kale, Mushroom, and Cheese Breakfast Casserole for friends, and it was so well-received that I made a decision to put up the recipe! Strive it if you happen to like the thought of beginning out the day with wholesome greens in a low-carb breakfast casserole!
When you go searching within the class for Breakfast Dishes on Kalyn’s Kitchen, you’ll discover tons and plenty of variations for breakfast casseroles. There’s even a well-liked put up with Fundamental Directions for Low-Carb Breakfast Casseroles. I make this kind of dish on the weekend and preserve it within the fridge to reheat for a fast breakfast through the week, and more often than not I simply use what’s within the fridge with out following an actual recipe. However after I’d ad-libbed this Kale, Mushroom, and Cheese Breakfast Casserole twice for friends and other people raved about it each occasions, I made a decision this was a recipe I wanted to put up on the weblog. And lately I up to date this favourite recipe with new images, so I’m reminding you about it for Friday Favorites at the moment. I make this most frequently with half Feta and half Mozzarella for the cheese, however you possibly can change out the cheese any manner you want!
In fact that is additionally an ideal breakfast for anybody who desires Meatless Recipes, and despite the fact that I’m calling this a breakfast casserole, I’d get pleasure from this for lunch or a lightweight dinner as effectively. I at all times like utilizing kale in a breakfast casserole, as a result of kale and different darkish leafy greens are the healthiest meals you possibly can eat, and I like beginning out the day with a dose of greens.
What substances do you want for this recipe?
- olive oil
- finely chopped kale
- crumbled Feta (or different cheese of your alternative)
- grated Mozzarella cheese (or different cheese of your alternative)
- contemporary floor black pepper
- Spike Seasoning (affiliate hyperlink) (or different all-purpose seasoning mix)
- bitter cream for serving (non-compulsory)
What if you happen to don’t like Kale?
You possibly can positively make this breakfast dish with different kinds of leafy greens if you happen to’re not a fan of kale! When you use a softer inexperienced like spinach or Swiss Chard, you’ll want a shorter cooking time to wilt the greens. Every thing else would be the similar.
How one can make this recipe:
(Scroll down for full recipe with dietary info.)
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C and spray a baking dish with non-stick spray, about 9″x13″ or comparable dimension.
- Use brown Cremini mushrooms or common white mushrooms on this recipe, and I make them thickly sliced.
- Saute the mushrooms in a little bit olive oil till they launch their liquid and get flippantly browned.
- Then put mushrooms within the backside of a baking dish.
- Warmth a little bit extra oil in the identical pan, add the chopped kale all of sudden, and prepare dinner simply till it’s barely wilted. This received’t take longer than 2-3 minutes at excessive warmth and even much less time for child kale.
- Layer kale over the mushrooms within the baking dish. This can be a beneficiant quantity of kale,
- Then sprinkle over the cheeses (Feta and Mozzarella for me) and season with fresh-ground black pepper and a few Spike Seasoning (affiliate hyperlink) or one other all-purpose seasoning mix.
- Beat the eggs till they’re well-combined and the pour over the greens and cheese. (Dangerous picture, however there actually are some eggs poured over that cheese!
- Then take a fork and gently “stir” till all of the substances are coated with egg and the highest of the breakfast casserole has an excellent combination of substances.
- I often sprinkle a tiny bit extra cheese on to make the highest look good and tacky!
- Bake 30-35 minutes, or till the casserole is totally set and the highest is beginning to get flippantly browned.
- Serve scorching, with some bitter cream on high if you happen to like bitter cream.
- It will preserve within the fridge for fairly a number of days and could be reheated within the microwave or in a pan on the range for a fast week-day breakfast possibility!
Extra Tasty Breakfasts with Darkish Leafy Greens:
Weekend Meals Prep:
This recipe has been added to a class referred to as Weekend Meals Prep that will help you discover recipes you possibly can prep or prepare dinner on the weekend and eat all week!
- 16 oz. mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 2 T olive oil
- 8 oz. finely chopped kale (or a little bit extra is ok)
- 5 oz. crumbled Feta (see notes)
- 1 cup grated Mozzarella cheese (see notes)
- contemporary floor black pepper to style
- 1 tsp. Spike Seasoning (non-compulsory, see notes)
- 12 eggs, overwhelmed till yolks and whites are well-combined
- bitter cream for serving (non-compulsory)
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Spray a baking dish with non-stick spray. (I used white crockery dish that was 9 inches x 13 inches, however any dimension near that may work.)
- Wash and dry mushrooms if wanted and thickly slice.
- Warmth 1 T olive oil in a big non-stick frying pan over medium-high warmth, add the mushrooms, and prepare dinner till the mushrooms have launched their liquid and it has evaporated, and mushrooms are beginning to barely brown, about 5-6 minutes.
- Unfold out the mushrooms over the underside of the baking dish.
- Whereas the mushrooms prepare dinner, chop kale if wanted, slicing away the thick stems and chopping the leaves. Wash kale if wanted, and spin dry. (I used a package deal of chopped kale, which is a good time-saver in case your retailer carries it.)
- Add 1 T extra olive oil to the identical pan, warmth to medium excessive, add the chopped kale all of sudden and saute, turning kale time and again till it’s all wilted, about 2-3 minutes. (Child kale will take even much less time than this.)
- Layer the wilted kale over the mushrooms within the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the crumbled Feta and grated Mozzarella over the greens and season with contemporary floor black pepper and Spike Seasoning (affiliate hyperlink) or one other all-purpose seasoning.
- Beat eggs till they’re well-combined; then pour eggs over the cheese.
- Use a fork to softly “stir” till all of the substances are coated with egg and the highest of the casserole exhibits an excellent combination of mushrooms and kale. (Sprinkle on a tiny bit extra cheese on high if you happen to’re choosy like me!)
- Bake at 375F/190C for 30-35 minutes, or till the casserole is totally set and the highest is beginning to flippantly brown. (In case your baking dish is smaller so the egg combination is thicker you may want a little bit extra time.)
- Serve scorching, with a dollop of bitter cream if desired.
- It will preserve within the fridge for at the least per week and could be rapidly reheated in a microwave.
Use both brown or white mushrooms, whichever you favor. I used simply barely greater than half of a 16 oz. package deal of chopped kale. 5 ounces Feta is about one cup of crumbled Feta. (Use about 2 cups of grated cheese of your alternative for this recipe.) You should use any kind of all-purpose seasoning that you just like if you happen to don’t have Spike.
Recipe created by Kalyn when she had in a single day friends and was winging it with substances that had been within the fridge.
Quantity Per Serving: Energy: 261Whole Fats: 19gSaturated Fats: 8gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 10gLdl cholesterol: 330mgSodium: 556mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 17g
Diet info is robotically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I’m utilizing. I’m not a nutritionist and can’t assure 100% accuracy, since many variables have an effect on these calculations.
Low-Carb Food regimen / Low-Glycemic Food regimen / South Seaside Food regimen Strategies:
Any such low-carb breakfast casserole is a good breakfast possibility for any low-carb or low-glycemic food plan plan or for any part of the unique South Seaside Food regimen.
Discover Extra Recipes Like This One:
Use Breakfast Recipes to search out extra recipes like this one. Use the Recipes by Food regimen Sort picture index pages to search out extra recipes appropriate for a particular consuming plan. You may additionally wish to Comply with Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the nice recipes I’m sharing there.
Historic Notes for the Recipe:
This tasty breakfast thought was first posted in 2014. The recipe was up to date in 2021 with improved images and a few added info.